The Building and Grounds Committee gave a report concerning the projects that are outlined in the 10-year Health-Life-Safety Survey. The survey will need approval to be submitted to the ISBE for their approval before the projects can be prioritized and a 3-5 year plan for the district will be developed.
The Curriculum Committee reported about their meeting. The committee continued ongoing discussions on revisions to the math curriculum at the Jr/Sr High School as well as other possible offerings to increase the options for the students.
The Technology Committee reported that Superintendent DePatis will be working on obtaining ERATE funding to help the district pay for improving the networking infrastructure for the district. This would increase the bandwidth and the speed for the computers in the district as well as allow for possible expansion of technology in the future.
The Board heard reports from Elementary Principal Christy Willman and Superintendent Gary DePatis. Mrs. Willman thanked the Morrisonville Fire Department for teaching the students about fire safety during Fire Prevention Week. The volunteer firemen were very helpful and also participated in the fire evacuation drills at both the elementary and Jr/Sr high school.
Red Ribbon Week will be held October 26-30, 2015 to help our students learn more about drug awareness as well as bullying prevention. There are activities forth student each day of the week.
The annual Scholastic Book Fair will take place at Morrisonville Elementary during the week of November 9, 2015. There will be family night activities on Tuesday, November 10th.
The district also received final approval from the Illinois State Board of Education for the Pre-K, 0-3 and Title grants this past week. We also received notification that the district will receive an additional $13,000 for the Title I grant for this year.
The Board entered into closed session at approximately 8:30 pm and returned to open session at 10:30 pm. The purpose of the closed session was to cover employment issues as well as individual student issues and matters related to collective bargaining.
The following action was taken by the Board during the meeting.
- Approved participation in the Federal Surplus Property Program
- Approved the 3 year contract with LMHN, CPAs for auditing services.
- Approved field trips for the FFA to the National FFA Convention in Indianapolis as well as a trip to St. Louis to the City Museum and Fox Theater for the Art and Drama department.
- Approved the resolution of intent to sell working cash bonds
- Approved the submittal of the 10 year Health-Life-Safety Survey that was completed by the district architect and as required by law.
- Hired Mark Hale as science teacher for the remainder of the 2015-16 school year.
- Approved the collective bargaining agreement with the MEA as well as approved salary increases for those staff that are not covered under the collective bargaining agreement.
The Board was reminded that the November Board meeting will be held on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 at 7:00 pm. This date is the scheduled date for that month but is different than the normally scheduled 3rd Thursday of the month.
The meeting adjourned at approximately 11:00 PM.