February 18, 2016
The Morrisonville Board of Education met on Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 7:00 PM in the Unit Office. The following Board members were present: Ed Goebel, Dale Brockamp, Bob Gowin, Kevin Moomey, Bryan Fesser and Bobbie Harker. Also present were Superintendent Gary DePatis, Principal Ann Little and Principal Christy Willman. Also present for the meeting were David Pistorius, First Midstate Inc. Investment Bankers and Tim Downen, Hurst-Rosche Architects.
The following people addressed the Board concerning the topic of a possible establishment of a new Committee of 10 toward the potential reorganization with the Panhandle School District: Larry Prose, Donna Wilcox, Alex Deal, Rick Cina and Derrick Dunkirk. Opinions were expressed on both sides of the issue.
The Curriculum Committee reported about their meeting. The committee continued ongoing discussions on revisions to the math curriculum at the Jr/Sr High School as well as other possible offerings to increase the options for the students. It was also reported that Mrs. Little and Counselor Megan Williams continue with the principal and counselor from Raymond-Lincolnwood to discuss academic coops and scheduling for 2016-17.
The Technology Committee reported that the wiring upgrade project continues to be the top priority and should have a recommendation for Board approval at the March meeting. The ERATE reimbursement for this project would be capped at approximately $45,000 due to the rules associated with ERATE. However, this will help fund approximately half of the project. This project will increase the bandwidth in both buildings and allow better Internet connection speeds.
Principals Ann Little and Christy Willman reported on the most recent MAP testing which was completed in January. We are seeing growth in our students but there are areas in which we would like to see increased growth. The staff will look at the results in more detail to help drive the instruction of the students to help them achieve even better results.
It was also reported that the Dome Theater was in the district the previous week and students in grades K-8 were able to take advantage of the programs available with the Dome Theater. It was very informative and the students seemed to enjoy it very much.
Principal Christy Willman also reported that Pre-K and Kindergarten screenings will be held on Friday, March 18th. Parents should contact the school to find out more details.
Superintendent Gary DePatis reported on several items that the Board has been discussing over the past couple months, including the lease/purchase of some new buses to help the district ensure safe travel for the students. Also that the bids for the roof replacement at the Jr./Sr. High School came in very well and lower than expected.
Mr. DePatis also reported that the previous drivers’ education car was sold for $800.50 under a sealed bid process. He also reported that there is an action item for the Board to abate $30,000 on the 2015 levy to lower the overall tax rate for this next summer’s real estate taxes for local tax payers. The $30,000 will be paid from the Christian County facilities tax funds.
The following action was taken by the Board during the meeting.
- Approved the Consent Agenda which includes the payment of bills and the minutes of previous Board meetings.
- Approved the 3 year lease of two (2) 71 passenger buses from Midwest Bus Sales in Litchfield as well as a 5 year lease/purchase for one handicapped lift bus through Central State Bus Sales in St. Louis. All three buses will be delivered in July 2016.
- Approved the abatement of $30,000 of the building bond payment using facilities tax funds.
- Approved the sales of $200,000 in Health Life Safety bonds to complete required work that was identified on the most recent HLS Survey which is required by the State of Illinois.
- Accepted the low bid for the roof replacement in the amount of $48,423.00 with Joiner Sheet Metal and Roofing, Greenville, IL.
- Approve Intergovernmental agreements with ROE 3 for the Regional Safe School and New Approach and Aspire programs.
- Approve the submittal of a HLS Amendment for domestic water piping in the old portion of the Jr./Sr. High School.
The Board entered executive session at approximately 9:05 PM and returned to open session at approximately 9:45 PM. There was no action taken after the Board returned to open session.
The next Board meeting will take place on Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 7:00 PM
The meeting adjourned at approximately 9:48 PM.